Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Is it too soon for Christmas? // Living Stephen

Hello everybody!

As you may or may not know, I work for Starbucks and have the pleasure (or not) of talking to many different kinds of people, since I work in a busy part of downtown; tourists from all around the world, business people, homeless people, and all of the different kinds of people in between. Since Halloween ended, Starbucks has started to slowly start bringing in the Christmas decorations and drinks, and now, here we are, mid-November, and the Christmas has gone full force in every store across the nation.

So from my experience the past couple of weeks from customers and coworkers, I have found a very negative response to the Christmas joy coming so early. Many people walk in, roll their eyes at the Christmas music playing and joke about how we "just forget about Thanksgiving." (which is probably a little bit true.)

However, sometimes I witness the complete opposite. I'll see people walk in from the rain and gloom, and instantly become overwhelmed with excited and happiness as they see the red cups are out and the Christmas coffee is back in. I feel their excitement that Christmas is just around the corner, and that before we know it, the hustle and bustle of Christmas will be here. It really is such an amazing thing to witness and makes my opinion that much more cemented.

Lets get one thing straight; I love Thanksgiving. I love eating, sitting back and reminiscing about all of the things I have in my life that I am thankful for. It's great. However, I honestly love starting Christmas this early. Tyler and I already started decorating for Christmas in our house, and I already have three tabs opened to lists of gifts I have ready for my family and friends. Yes, I may be a little bit obsessed with Christmas, but I really don't think we should think negatively about Christmas starting. If you think about it, if we start "getting into the Christmas spirit" on December 1st, that gives us only about 24 days to get all of our excitement in. Now, for some people.. that seems like a long time, but for some of us crazy humans, it's not.

I think Christmas is a time for people to feel happy and excited, and I think that if that feeling starts a couple weeks early, why not? Work seems to go by faster, I feel more accepting of the cold, and I'm generally in a better mood!

Now that I put in my two sense about Christmas, let me know what you think! Write me on Tumblr or down in the comments, and tell me your opinion. I'd love to hear it!

I'm going to go listen to Christmas music now!

Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment