Sunday, October 19, 2014

Walking the Waterfront Pt. 2 // Living Stephen

Well would you look at that, I'm actually posting more than just one time a week! (It may only be because I already had pictures ready, and didn't actually have to put any pants on to get the pictures I have for this post..)

I recently posted about how I made my way down to the Willamette Riverfront (if this doesn't make sense, scroll down a bit and read that post first). I was taken away by how beautiful the scenery was, and how relaxed and calming it was. I think that since I work downtown and spend a lot of time up there, shopping and such, it was really nice to get away from it, and just breath for a little bit.

What I don't think I was expecting when I took my walk was how close to nature I was actually going to get. As I walked through the park, I was blown away with how many animals I saw, just in the park. I came across flocks of Canadian Geese, which were pecking away at the bread that someone had thrown down for them. For some reason, these birds surprise me every time I see them. I always feel like I live in a more suburb area, and I still don't 100% understand how they survive here.. but somehow they do (probably from all the bread.) I also ran across some of the most friendly (terrifying) squirrels. I see the squirrels all the time, jumping from tree to light pole, all the time around my neighborhood, but I had never seen these guys so close. They were a little bit too close for comfort, but they are pretty cute.. aside from them having rabies..


As I made my way through the park, I decided I wanted to be a little bit closer to the waterfront. I slid down a steep-ass, muddy hill, and ended up facing the water. This is when the emotions began to come. I was just watching the sun in the perfect place in the sky, and was hearing the waves hit the rocks. It was extremely peaceful and warming. I looked over and saw a stork walking across the beach, with no sense of urgency.. just enjoying a little walk. It was so calming, I can't even describe it.


I finally pulled my shit together, and made my way back up the park route. I ended up taking a little detour to some of the boats that were docked, and when I did, I was taken away (and I started crying a bit.) I saw a bald eagle hanging out out in the water, on one of the sticks coming out from the water. I honestly could not believe what I was seeing. One of the most beautiful birds I had ever seen, just relaxing on a random branch. I will never forget the feeling of chills and excitement that I felt as I stood there. It was breathtaking. 


As I pulled myself together, yet again, I made the final trek back home. I was so overwhelmed with all the things I had seen, and was so inspired to come and show the people who read this blog. I was about to pass the last bit of boat docks, when I looked down and saw a big pile of fur. When I looked a little bit closer, I noticed that what I was actually seeing was five river otters, ripping at a fish they had just caught on the dock. I had never seen anything like this before. After talking to a woman who had seem them right after me, she explained that she had lived there for 35 years and had never seen river otters before. This was an extremely rare occasion, and I was in awe of how lucky I was to have captured this moment.


After composing myself one last time, I walked all the way home.. (without any interruptions). Still looking back, I'm mesmerized by all of the things I had seen. This city keeps surprising me with its multi dimensions. I can only hope that next time I go to the waterfront, it will be this eventful.

Until next time,

Stephen






No comments:

Post a Comment